Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Language..the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly.Weekly Blog Post #4

      The highlight of my week  was being able to lead a discussion with my students while my teaching was not able to be there. We were discussing controversial topics and I was able to  direct the discussions and lead students through an appropriate or away from an inappropriate path. Some students controlled the discussion and other students wouldn't respond to any of the prompts. It was a challenge being able to control the students comments so that they don't completely control the conversation and being able to prompt new students to participate. I loved having the opportunity to be in the lead and find positive ways for students to learn and express their opinons. It is always different per class that you are in, but I was really proud of my students and the positive ways they were able to express their opinons and understanding of the topic at hand.
      This week I have learned a lot about the relationship that I have with my students and how it can be positively or negatively impacted. My students recognize me more often and even say hi to me outside of class. It has been fun to get to know them better and enjoy their presence more and more. The biggest thing that I have struggled with my students lately is how to control the language that both they and I use. I battle between finding too formal and too informal forms of language to use. I am young and therefore they associate with me but  I also struggle with hearing the language that my students use. They have the smallest form of vocabulary and their favorite words to use are highly inappropriate four letter words. I understand that there is not much we as teachers can do to control their language but I hope that I can teach them more appropriate forms of language to express themselves through so that they can be less offensive.
    I have been perplexed with how to handle my teachers talking badly about their students. I know it is normal to have difficult students and is so easy to talk badly about them when they have caused you so much grief. But I want to keep a positive attitude about my students and always try to help them regardless of their previous behavior or difficulties in my classroom. Hopefully this is the type of attitude and behavior that my students will pick up on and be able to emulate throughout their personal affairs with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment